I would say that being overly caught up in auspicious symbolism is probably not a really effective way to go through life. However, I am going to roll with it for right now.
A business class upgrade got me home in style – and I am still not sure why I got it, but like they say: Why ask why? I arrived in San Francisco under the clearest blue skies, well rested and well fed. It was awesome and I swear the weather in California just taunts me with perfection every time I come home… But there was not a lot of time for dawdling in SF as I was headed to SD and so just had the chance to stroll through the airport and admire the blue skies and hot guys. San Diego was/has been/is equally beautiful. Hot, clear, delightful.
In spite of having tons of stuff to do, I mostly didn’t do it in San Diego and played instead: morning coffee at the Pannikin, walks on Neptune, and, oh yeah, Street Scene and the Hard Rock Hotel downtown. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. So, I won tickets to Street Scene this year on Twitter, yeah, go ahead and mock it – I won – and so the decision was made to get a room at the Hard Rock and just stay in San Diego rather than commuting back up to the North County. Good call. This is a concert that often gets mixed reviews, but I was psyched even though it meant forgoing Outsidelands in SF. The line-ups were actually pretty similar, and since the Beasties had to cancel on both shows, it was sort of a wash. I was thinking that Saturday might be the bigger night, but actually, I think I liked Friday better… either way, I saw a bunch of bands I love, saw some new ones I now love, and hung out with some people that I love. That’s a whole lotta love.
Check it out:
The show was really awesome (you know me, I think hyperbole is, like, the best thing ever.) Some weekend highlights?
- Multiple midgets in the hotel, partying like rock stars
- Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue
- Holy Fuck
- “What does a $9 margarita do for me?” –ooohhhhh… I see.
- Conor Oberst
- The Black Eyed Peas – btw, Fergie? So NOT fat.
- Photos with cops (strange, standard operating procedure. Don’t ask. But it has proved helpful on occasion.)
- Re-hymenation project
- Chicken gyros
- In the elevator with Jaime Luis Gomez and his fly jacket before he headed up to Outsidelands
- Drunk lawyers
- Real ranch dressing
- Pool skanks & a blended Bloody Mary – wtf?
- “When I tell a fat guy I can’t go to dinner with him don’t say I’m doing something else – I just want some Kobe beef!”
- Zee Avi
- Los Campesinos
- Seeing my former students all grown up… Hey Ben – you are famous now!
- Of Montreal
- The wooly headed Blue Lagoon Christopher Atkins guy
- “I am totally dressing as Flamer Flame for Christmas this year!”
- Whatever, we were hanging with Chuck D’s cousin
- Being totally relieved that the Silversun Pickups were NOT the Dead Weather
- Theivery Corporation
- M.I.A.’s legs
- Meat sticks & Big Gulps
- “Ian saw the most bands of anyone – I was just bouncing around like a little rabbit – bounce, bounce bounce…”
There were some seriously GREAT bands there, and if you are not familiar with the ones I listed up there, you should check them out. I have lots more thoughts on the whole thing… but for now, a list of annoying private jokes and strange references are going to have to suffice.
It has been an auspicious beginning, to be sure.